The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Singapore - Frog Porridge

Last August RJ and I visited Singapore for my friends' wedding. It was way before I had ever even set eyes upon a food blog. But because food is one of my favourite things about Singapore, I ended up taking some photos of things we ate.

We spent this particular day with my Singaporean friend D, who I had met during my exchange student days in 1999 at Nanyang Technological University. After a long day spent eating our way around the island, D took us for dinner in Geylang, Singapore's notorious red light district. It's also known for its fantastic food.

D wanted us to try one of his favourites, frog porridge. Last time D had talked about eating frogs (way back when I was an exchange student) I'd tried not to rule out the idea. That was until we reached the hawker centre and saw huge fish tanks full of frogs hopping around, croaking happily, unaware that they were about to, well, croak! At the hands of a hawker armed only with a grotty old pair of scissors, no less. So D's frog porridge plan was vetoed. And - it appears - he had waited five years to try to convince me again.

This time, he knew better than to let us see the frogs! He ordered us to sit down at the table out on the footpath and said he would go and place the order. We could hear a bit of croaking, but as our table was next to the road there was enough other noise to disguise it. RJ was keen - he is very brave - but I told Derek that he had better order me some chicken satay sticks, or else!

I was happily munching away at my satays when the frog porridge was delivered in two clay pots: one containing the rice porridge and the other holding the frog pieces. These were to be mixed together in each person's bowl. It smelled delicious! D had neglected to tell me that the frogs would be cooked in ginger and shallot sauce, one of my very favourites!

I still couldn't quite get my head around eating frog, but in the end I psyched myself up and tried a bit! I felt super adventurous! It had the texture of chicken, I guess, and the strong ginger and shallot flavour seemed to overpower any flavour that the frog might actually have had.


Frog porridge

So with that scary adventure over, D suggested that we could go across the road after dinner and eat some "Taiwanese snakes"! I began to protest strenuously until I realised a couple of moments later the my Australian-accented ears had misheard... We were, in fact, about to enjoy some Taiwanese snacks! Phew!



10 Comments:

  • At 4:20 pm, Blogger Jimmy Trinket said…

    eeew! Frogs' breath!

    "Nothing's more suspicious than Frog's breath!"

    Guess the movie-get a prize!

     
  • At 9:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha. I liked how you confessed you took photos of food before you even had a blog. Me too, Kelly, me too =)

    And I laughed out loud at your mishearing of snacks/snakes too! =)

    I've never had frog congee before. I've only ever had it in French restaurants. Ginger and shallots sounds yum!

     
  • At 1:10 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Jimmy Trinket, The Nightmare Before Christmas! What's my prize?! :)

    Hi AugustusGloop, the snacks/snakes incident was a scary moment indeed. I was already exhausted from protesting about eating frogs!

     
  • At 2:09 pm, Blogger eat stuff said…

    LOL
    hehehehehe at least they were good :)

     
  • At 7:24 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Blazing_Star_Racer/RJ! You seemed so brave at the time - little did I know you were having secret second thoughts!

    Hey Clare, it was good, but I don't know if I'd eat it again! It's one of those things you just want to do once to tick it off your "to do" list :)

     
  • At 5:33 pm, Blogger Jimmy Trinket said…

    Doh! A surprise prize is on it's way...

     
  • At 10:25 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Thanks JT, can't wait to see what it is!

     
  • At 3:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelly. Lots of people would probably have "donate kidney if the opportunity arises" on their "to do" list. It doesn't mean you have to do it just so you can tick it off. Geez, KJW. Eeewwww...

    Talk to you soon.

    McHills xx

     
  • At 7:32 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi McHills, sorry to have turned your stomach with this story ;) I can safely promise that there won't be more tales about me eating frogs any time soon...

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger deborah said…

    I'd like to try this - even if it is the one time.

    Thanks for adding this to Omnivoribus Australis. The August round up is ready!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home