The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Brisbane Lions cupcakes

My favourite Australian Rules football team, the Brisbane Lions, are playing the top-of-the-ladder West Coast Eagles tonight in Perth.

Unfortunately, here in Brisbane, we are 3600 kilometres away so we're having a few friends around to watch the game on TV. In honour of the occasion, and in the vain hope that my baking can influence the outcome of a football game, I whipped up some maroon, blue and gold mini-cupcakes.

Superstition plays a big part in sport, and last time I made these mini-cupcakes was for a "maroon, blue and gold" themed morning tea the day before the 2002 grand final...which the Lions went on to win.

Aussie Rules fans also love quirky statistics. How's this for a piece of trivia? The Lions have won their past five games, and each win has arrived with an increased margin. If they keep this pattern up, they should win tonight by more than 78 points...

Go Lions!











Sad postscript: Unfortunately - and despite my best baking efforts - the Eagles proved too good for the Lions on the night :( The Eagles played a fantastic game where the final score was 17.9.(111) to 13.10.(88).

10 Comments:

  • At 8:16 pm, Blogger eat stuff said…

    Ahah!
    My partner is a bombers fan and is very happy they beat collingwood. Good job on the cupcakes ;)

     
  • At 6:28 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Clare Eats, I think everyone is happy when Collingwood get beaten! We'll be meeting the Bombers next week at the Gabba...

     
  • At 5:59 pm, Blogger Niki said…

    Wow - that's some scary looking blue colour!
    I'm a Brisbane Lions fan by default I guess, but fairly grudgingly. I've never quite recovered from losing our family's beloved Fitzroy Lions, and if pressed I say I'm a Lions supporter, but it's just SO wrong to support an interstate team when you're from Melbourne. Sadly, there's just not any I can warm to other than my beloved Fitzroy Lions. My uncles and I are sad cases still in mourning (and one even lives in Queensland). My mum and brother go for Collingwood, which is even less of an option than, say, Sydney Swans! As if! And my boyfriend is from Adelaide, so he's no help on the Melbourne front either!!

     
  • At 2:30 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Niki, the blue looked scarier in the photo than in real life, but I still wasn't game to eat it! I stuck to the maroon and gold :)

    It's better to be a Lions fan by default than any kind of Collingwood fan! :)

    And please don't start supporting Port Adelaide, no matter what your boyfriend says. The Crows maybe, but not Port! They're nasty!

     
  • At 11:56 am, Blogger eat stuff said…

    LOL!
    How Aussie is this conversation? It is great!

     
  • At 2:10 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hey Clare Eats, it's funny hey? I'm so happy to hear that my fellow food lovers are also footy lovers!

     
  • At 1:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, hey, hey girls....I'm another Lions fan from Brisbane and also love cupcakes. We should start a fan club for both, I'm sure it would bring press coverage. What a great idea you had and drats to them not winning but remember there is always 2006!

    Signing out...fellow Aussie Karen.

     
  • At 6:39 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Karen, thanks for dropping by! Yes, I'm looking forward to 2006 now, not back to 2005.

    Now I have to find another team to support in the finals - I think I'll go for Adelaide (it has to be an interstate team!).

     
  • At 12:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yo yo yo how you's doing. essendon sucks and brisbane lions are very kewl. im the biggest fan ever

     
  • At 12:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thing it may good to eat that I saw recpies in ur blogs
    Bakery Equipment

     

Post a Comment

<< Home