The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Desperate Brownies

It was with bitter disappointment that I received the news that Channel 7 would be screening 24 instead of the terrific Desperate Housewives last night. What would the girls at work and I talk about on Tuesday morning? Our regular DH debrief would have to be postponed until next week! Quelle disaster!

But disappointment turned to determination, and, Bree Van Der Kamp-like, I decided to make the best of a bad situation and use my newfound spare hour to whip up a batch of the delicious looking brownies featured on Niki's blog a couple of weeks ago. They looked so fantastic in her photos that I haven't been able to stop thinking about them since I first read her post.

I don't think I've ever made a recipe that called for melted butter and cocoa to be mixed together. I was so impressed by the resulting mixture that I had to take a photo!


Butter and cocoa mixture


When the prescribed 20-25 minutes in the oven had elapsed, my tin of brownie mixture still wobbled ominously when I attempted to remove it from the oven. Mindful of the recipes instruction "Do not overcook" - but at the same time wary of my oven's sometime problem with holding the correct temperature - I left the tin in for another few minutes. After this, the brownie slab seemed a bit more solid, so I took it out.

After it had cooled down a little, I mixed up the icing, thinking "Two cups of icing sugar for one 18x28cm slab of brownie?! Sounds rather ample!" There did end up being plenty of icing to splash around...


Bowl of icing

This morning the finished product looks absolutely delicious. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure the girls at work will like it! Hopefully it can fill the gaping hole in our Tuesday morning routine that would normally be occupied by unnecessarily in-depth DH debriefing and analysis!


The finished product
This photo is my entry in the food community's monthlyDoes My Blog Look Good In This photo competition, this month kindly hosted by Andy at Spittoon.


Thanks Niki for sharing your recipe!

6 Comments:

  • At 11:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to say that these brownies are the best that I have ever tried. Although, you can't have too many at once...they are a bit rich! (but oh so tasty!). Love your work BrisKJJ!

     
  • At 4:22 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi RJ, thanks for your comment :) Glad to hear you enjoyed your morning tea! I'm sure that it was your assistance with the sifting that made all the difference!

    Hi AugustusGloop, I'm happy to announce that each brownie contains your entire RDI of fat and carbohydrates! Following a balanced diet doesn't get any easier than this!

     
  • At 5:16 pm, Blogger Niki said…

    Oooh yum, those look excellent! Yes, I halved the icing recipe, because I baulked at 2 cups of icing sugar as well - AND I still had leftovers! (but I halved the brownie recipe as well).
    Yummmm!

     
  • At 12:00 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Niki, I've just finished eating the last brownie! They were absolutely delicious and they went down a treat with my workmates :)

     
  • At 10:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It just so happens that I was among those lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to sample these scrum-didily-umptious brownies. I got the call to pop into Briskjj's office (lucky I work in the building right next door, eh?) for a spot of morning tea - and there they were. In all their chocolately, yummy goodness - nestled provocatively in their little white Tupperware-like container. DELICIOUS!

    I told my husband all about my morning brownie adventure when I got home, and you know what happened? I got into trouble for not bringing him (the self-professed King of the Brownies) home one. Oh, well. Them's the breaks! (Or the brownies, as the case may be...)

    Well done, Briskjj. You truly ARE a domestic goddess! :)

     
  • At 11:38 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hey McHills, thanks for dropping by and adding your comment! I'll have you blogging in no time :) Glad you enjoyed your brownies. Too bad about MrHills missing out. We'll have to try to remember him next time...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home