The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Malaya Corner, Sunnybank

The closest thing I've found to real Malaysian and Singaporean hawker food in Brisbane is at Malaya Corner in Sunnybank. Just reading the menu is a treat and deciding what to eat can be very challenging!

We've been to Malaya Corner a few times now, but on this occasion RJ chose the curry and roti, which looks pretty small but is actually quite substantial. I sampled some, for research purposes, and found that it was extremely delicious!

Roti and curry on funny plastic banana leaf plate.

I had the ho fun noodles (my favourite kind) with beef (my favourite meat) and ginger and shallots (one of my top ten flavour combinations). It tasted fantastic and the portion was huge! As an added bonus, the carrots were cut out into cute little shapes. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it again.


Ho fun noodles with beef and ginger and shallots

To accompany our meal we had the not-very-authentic but huge and refreshing nonetheless lemon Cokes. My other favourite thing about Malaya Corner is that the tables are made from my very favourite Laminex colour, Maize Tela! The very same that I have in my laundry! (I know that is a pretty stupid thing to get excited about, but I can't help it.)

Lemon Cokes and the Maize Tela Laminex table.



All in all, there is nothing not to love about Malaya Corner. There's plenty of delicious things to eat, the service is fine, and the prices are very reasonable. Oh! There is one small thing not to love - the accept cash only! There are no EFTPOS or credit card facilities. (Thankfully there's an ATM nearby, otherwise we might have ended up doing the dishes...)

We'll definitely be going back, so stay tuned for more updates.

Malaya Corner
Shop 38 Market Square
Corner McCullough Street and Mains Road
Sunnybank
Phone: (07) 3344 3838

6 Comments:

  • At 7:43 pm, Blogger Amanda said…

    Sunnybank is my asian food mecca _ I must get down there and try this place and do some asian grocery shopping. I have only haunted Charlotte Street and the Malaysian Satay Club (may not be the exact name) which has fantastic Hainese Chicken Rice and great Laksa very authentic and cheap for the city.

     
  • At 9:18 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi lushlife, thanks for visiting The Occasional Epicure! It's really worth a trip to Sunnybank to visit Malaya Corner. I promise you'll love it! :)

    I've passed the Satay Club in Charlotte Street and will have to drop in and have lunch one of these days. I am always on the lookout for good laksa. Thanks for the recommendation.

     
  • At 8:22 pm, Blogger boo_licious said…

    That beef ho fun dish looks yummy.

    Yeah, we also get the funny banana leaf plates in some restaurants instead of the actual banana leaf. I kinda prefer the real leaf since all I need to do is just fold it and they will chuck it away.

     
  • At 9:50 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi boo_licious, the beef ho fun was so good! I have to go back there one day very soon.

    I agree that a real banana leaf would be better - saves using all that water washing up!

     
  • At 6:43 pm, Blogger WJ said…

    Don't quite like the service from the staff, but the boss is very friendly!

     
  • At 11:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Was great until they became too greedy like $19 laksa,to mant gringos found out and they reacted,good overpriced (for Sunnybank) parking - forget it.I'm a local and nearly lived there but sorry lost me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home