The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Kelleys Seafood Restaurant, Hobart

A colleague had told RJ about this famous Hobart seafood restaurant where you have to knock on the door to be let in. Because it sounded fun and came highly recommended we made a reservation to have dinner there on our first night in Hobart. It's in a funny little backstreet up behind Salamanca Place. The walk there from where we were staying was a bit longer than we'd expected, so by the time we arrived at the mysterious door, we'd developed two very healthy appetites.





I knocked on the door using the big brass knocker and we were promptly shown inside to a cozy little table in the corner. Embracing the Tasmanian food (and beverage) scene, I got stuck into a Boags and RJ had a Cascade.

We decided to skip entrees and go straight to the main course. RJ decided to have the seafood platter and I ordered the ocean trout wrapped in prosciutto and served with polenta (although I was tempted to have the Deep Fried Selection).

My ocean trout came with a delicious salad of rocket, pear and walnuts dressed with a very "bitey" vinaigrette. Since rocket is my favourite green, I was thrilled! The rest of the dish was delicious too!




The waitress had told RJ that his seafood platter would serve "two people or one really hungry person". In the end, we were glad we didn't order it to share. All the morsels were very tasty, but there definitely wasn't enough for two main courses. The platter featured prawns, sushi, sashimi, calamari, pickled octopus, mussels, and whatever is on that skewer in the photo (I can't remember anymore!).


We'd enjoyed our mains (oh! and the beautiful complimentary homemade bread rolls) but we still weren't full, so we ordered a chocolate pudding to share. It was served with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. For a seafood restaurant, they do a pretty mean dessert!


The service at Kelleys was excellent, the atmosphere was cozy and the food was worth the walk!And there was just something special about knocking on the door. It felt almost like you were visiting a friend's house.

Kelleys Seafood Restaurant
5 Knopwood Street
Battery Point
Phone (03) 6224 7225


2 Comments:

  • At 2:45 am, Blogger Zozo said…

    Hey Kel! Great to see you blogging...combining two of your favourite things - words and food!!
    Take care,

     
  • At 9:09 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hey AG, the food was great, but it really was the covert aspect that made dining at Kelleys exciting!

    We shared the super-choc dessert. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it through a whole one by myself.

    Hi zozo! How exciting! One of my "real life" friends reading my blog :) I'd love to see some Dutch food on your blog one of these days...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home