The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Choc Hazelnut Friands

It's friand time again! Instead of the almond meal that is used in standard recipe I added hazelnut meal. And, as all Nutella-lovers know, nothing goes better with hazelnuts than chocolate, so I whacked in a bit of cocoa and broke up some chocolate buttons and stuck them on top. I thought the chocolate was going to melt a bit more than it did, but the friands still looked (and tasted) pretty good!



Choc hazelnut friands

I took these on a recent visit to my mum's place, and I only ate one! I'm still feeling a peculiar friand craving, so I will have to make another batch soon!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum! These look so delicious.

    I often find that chocolate on top of cakes/muffins tends to just "cook" rather than melt. So usually I'll put nuts on top instead.

    And well done on the willpower too!

     
  • At 1:22 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi AG, it wasn't willpower! There were still five friands remaining when I was getting ready to leave my mum's place, and I said "Do you want me to leave all these for you?" hoping she would say something "no - just leave me one", but she now knows the love of friands and she said "yes, please, leave them all here!"

    Thanks for the tip about chocolate. I think I'll stick to chocolate icing if I want to have it on top of cakes in future.

     
  • At 6:50 pm, Blogger tanvi said…

    I've never heard of friands before, but both these and the original sound fantastic! I'm going to try your recipe as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for sharing, and great improvisation with the hazelnut/choc. combo!

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Niki said…

    Ooh ooh oooooooh! You've got me! This is a bookmarked item. Do you believe I actually have a task on my MS Office Outlook called 'baking recipes to try'. Sad, I know.....

     
  • At 4:41 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Tanvi, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

    Hi Niki, glad to have made it onto your Things to Bake list! I have quite a stack of recipes from your blog that I'm planning to make too :) Looking forward to seeing how you go!

     
  • At 5:29 pm, Blogger Jimmy Trinket said…

    I can't believe you made delicious friands (and chocolatey ones at that) on a day that Muh wasn't at work.

    My mouth watered and so did my eyes as I gazed upon the photo of the chocolatey goodness I'll never taste boohoo...

    We bought some almond meal at the shops and we are going to try to make some Friands, how exciting!

     
  • At 10:24 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hey Jimmy T, I wasn't at work either - that's why I was baking! :)

    Looking forward to testing out your friands one day soon, hint, hint!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home