The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Yuen's Supermarket, Sunnybank

After our dinner at Malaya Corner, RJ and I made our now-customary postprandial trip to Yuen's Asian Supermarket. It's so cool that it is open at night and just a few doors down from our favourite restaurant!


Yuen's - doorway to Asian foodlovers' heaven

I didn't take too many photos there; I don't want the owners to think I'm up to anything untoward. But I just had to snap the Great Wall of Tea.


Never go thirsty again!

Later on I also found a giant bag of this tea. It is my favourite accompaniment to yum cha. I didn't buy it, but I had to take a photo anyway...


Pu-erh tea

Important note! I have no idea why the English spelling of this tea's name is so bizarre. It is not pronounced poo-err (although some people might say that after they drink it; it tastes a bit like dirt to me, but that's part of its charm) rather, it is pronounced poe-lay.


6 Comments:

  • At 5:14 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hey AG, I suspect you're onto something there. My sources (and sauces, heh) are all Cantonese so I'm not sure how I'll get to the bottom of this.

    Any Mandarin speakers out there care to comment?

     
  • At 8:59 pm, Blogger Amanda said…

    It's only a matter of time before I get there I have informed and primed my sister for a lunch/shop visit one weekend soon.

     
  • At 12:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kelly, AG is correct. Pu Erh is the Mandarin pronunciation. Now I need to go check if my jaw is wired shut :P

     
  • At 9:22 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Lushlife, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip to Sunnybank!

    If you're looking for nice yum cha it can be found right next door to Yuen's at Marigold.

    Hi ST, thanks for dropping by! And thanks for clearing up the pronunciation mystery!

    I do so love that tea, no matter what we all call it!

     
  • At 4:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is the Yuen's supermarket open during the Anzac Day?

     
  • At 11:29 pm, Anonymous Chico Land Surveyors said…

    Nice bblog

     

Post a Comment

<< Home