The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Friday, October 14, 2005

Oaty date slice

Winter in Queensland is long gone. I love eating porridge for breakfast every day when the weather is cold, but once there's a hint of warmth in the air it's straight back to cereal and cold milk. This year I miscalculated when the porridge days would end, and finished up with an oversupply of rolled oats.

I needed help! Who could suggest a use for these lovely and healthy grains? (Are oats classified as a grain? Somebody, please advise!) Anyway, the lovely AugustusGloop came to my rescue with an old favourite recipe of hers, from her grade seven home economics text book no less.

I also had a bag of dates in the pantry that I'd bought to make some scroggin which didn't quite eventuate. Wouldn't you know it - AG's recipe included dates too! Everything was just falling into place!

Following AG's hot tip, I left this in the oven for a bit longer than the prescribed 15-20 minutes - about 35 minutes all up - and the slice turned out beautifully.

It's sweet and chewy and oaty and a bit datey. Mmm!


It looks like Weet Bix but tastes a million times better!


5 Comments:

  • At 7:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You could make oat biscuits to serve with cheese. I'll make some next week and post the recipe.

     
  • At 4:08 pm, Blogger venitha said…

    Weet Bix - blah! I'd never seen these before I came to Singapore, and honestly, I've never tried them because I can well imagine what they taste like.

    Is porridge the same things as oatmeal in Australia? In Singapore it seems porridge is that weird Japanese congee stuff that tastes like Weet Bix. =)

     
  • At 4:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work Kelly! I'm so glad I've helped some leftover oats and dates find a new lease of life. A much tastier lease of life I'd like to think too!

    And they're so easy to make too.

     
  • At 9:01 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Barbara, oat biscuits sound like a great idea. Thanks very much - I'll keep an eye out on your blog.

    Hi Venitha, I'm sure you can imagine what Weet Bix taste like - compressed cardboard! Well, they're not quite that bad, but I think it might be one of those foods where you need to be "trained from young".

    Yep, the porridge I'm talking about is the oatmeal kind, not the rice kind.

    Hi AG, thanks again for sharing your recipe. Every time I eat another piece of this slice I think of more yummy things that I could add in or substitute for the dates - sunflower seeds, nuts, sultanas, dried apricots... I'm already looking forward to the next batch!

     
  • At 1:42 am, Anonymous Monica Butler said…

    Thanks greaat blog post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home