The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Malaya Corner 4

In which your intrepid correspondents visit - yet again - Sunnybank's finest, Malaya Corner.

My mum was visiting for the weekend so we decided to introduce her to Malaya Corner. Oh, and she saw my blog for the first time, too! (This was handy because she actually reminded me to take a photo of her dinner before she ate it!)

Good old Malaya Corner was bustling as usual, but we still got a table immediately and set about deciding what to eat. We had to have the kari puffs again - just so my mum could try them! We also ordered tahu goreng (fried tofu) for entree. It was big chunks of tofu deep fried and served with crushed peanuts, bean sprouts and some kind of hoisin-like sauce. I forgot to take a photo! Oops - we'll just have to order it again another time!

Because RJ's sambal chilli prawns had been so delicious on a previous visit, I decided to try the sambal chilli chicken. It had just the right amount of chilli flavour and heat. I think I still prefer the prawns that RJ had, but this chicken was pretty tasty!


Sambal chilli chicken

My mum went for the nasi goreng. It was full of all kinds of goodies. I tried a bit of the chopped tofu, but it was a bit dry and chewy. Mum said that the rest of the dish was nice. It was a huge serving too!


That's my mum in the background! She unintentionally teamed with the theme by wearing an Oriental print shirt!

RJ has long been dying to try the Malaya Corner char kway teow. We both love ho fun - flat rice noodles - and this delicious dish combines them with prawns, dark soy sauce, and a fantastic smoky flavour. Once again, the serving was pretty huge. RJ gave it the thumbs up but said it could have been a bit more spicy.


Char kway teow

It goes without saying that we'll be back!

Other Malaya Corner visits:
Malaya Corner, Sunnybank
Malaya Corner 2
Malaya Corner 3

3 Comments:

  • At 12:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love how your mum reminded you to take photos!

    And I always look for the chilli sauce these days. It's never spicy enough!

     
  • At 6:40 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi AG, it was very handy bringing my mum along! Not only did she remind me to take the photo, but I got the change to try out an extra dish!

     
  • At 4:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this place too. I have been going there very often.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home