The Occasional Epicure

Occasional updates on my eating and cooking adventures...

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Kuranda Candy Kitchen

Recently I was lucky enough to find myself in quaint Kuranda, north Queensland for a day. The town is most famous for its markets, but my favourite place was the Kuranda Candy Kitchen. I smelled a sweet and delicious aroma and followed my nose to a little tiny shop where I found Ross and Judy making some wedding candy for a couple who were evidently called Jack and Shae...

Watching the candy being made was pretty amazing. Ross and Judy turned a big pile of sugary stuff into tiny candies that said Jack ♥ Shae in the middle!

Here's how it happened...


Mixing up the red and yellow sugary gooey stuff.



Stretching the mixture over big hooks - this made the finished product more shiny.


Forming the words - the letters of the happy couple's names were made out of red strips of candy, and yellow strips were used as spacers around and between the letters. That's one of the names on the left-hand side of this photo.


The names and the heart were assembled into this big log and another layer of yellow candy was rolled around the outside. The brown workbench appeared to be made of leather and had a gas barbecue underneath that kept the candy warm and pliable.


A layer of red candy was rolled around the outside of the big candy log and then Ross and Judy pulled the candy at one end to make it smaller. It was amazing! I had expected that some kind of machine did this part of the process.



Here's the candy getting really thin!


This is how it ended up. Judy whacked the candy "rope" with a metal spatula every so often to cut it into these lengths, which she then chopped into pieces about 1cm long to finish off the process.



Alas! I didn't take a photo of the finished product, but I did buy some Fruit Rock, which is made in the same way...

It's so cute! My favourites are the passionfruit and kiwifruit.

If you're lucky enough to be visiting Kuranda, I'd highly recommend dropping in to the Candy Kitchen. And to Jack and Shae, best wishes - I hope your wedding went/goes well and that you have a lifetime of happiness together! :)

9 Comments:

  • At 11:28 pm, Blogger tara said…

    What a delightful place - I love all the colours!

     
  • At 3:57 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Tara, thanks for visiting The Occasional Epicure! The candy shop was extremely colourful! And it smelled fantastic too...

    Hi AugustusGloop, now you know how the candies are made, are you going to try it at home? ;) It a fascinating process and I was really lucky to find myself at the shop right as they were beginning to make the candy!

     
  • At 9:25 pm, Blogger deborah said…

    Hello! Thanks again for submitting such a sweet post to Omnivoribus Australis. These type of sweets bring back fabulous memories!

    Thanks and I look forward to reading a post for the July edition :)

     
  • At 10:05 pm, Blogger Anthony said…

    I agree with AG, I had no idea how they were made and now I do. Yay!

     
  • At 9:00 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Saffron, thanks for visiting, and for your smashing Omnivoribus Australis initiative!

    Hi Anthony, it seems like a lot of us were completely mystified about how those little names get into the candies. Glad to have been able to reveal this secret to the world!

     
  • At 9:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow!! Love your candy kitchen... Great!

     
  • At 5:03 pm, Anonymous Blocked Drains Melbourne said…

    Those stuff are cute.

     
  • At 1:54 am, Blogger Mark said…

    So cute!
    --- Visit my site

     
  • At 2:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great photos!
    --my website

     

Post a Comment

<< Home